January 13, 2020

My Entrepreneurship Story

My Story

My most memorable experience of entrepreneurship occurred last summer when I participated in the Innovation Academy (IA) catalyst project. I was paired with a great group of individuals and for 4 weeks, our task was to create a solution (product or service) that would optimize early childhood development. During the first week, we didn't even talk about solutions. Instead, we focused on re-framing the problem, who might be involved, and interviewing experts. Only after extensive research and interviews did we start to create possible solutions. After narrowing down our list of solutions we decided on a product that would assist parents, pre-k teachers, and guardians in the time-out process. Once the prototype was finished, we asked potential customers how they liked the idea and gathered more end-user information. Even though our idea didn't win an award, the experience, work, and insight lead me to participate in the Big Idea competition. 
"Clock Cushion" child disciplinary product

Why I Enrolled in ENT3003

I enrolled in this class (other than to fulfill my minor) because I've always envisioned myself starting my own business and making a difference in my community and this class will give me a great foundation. I hope the concepts taught in this class only fuel my desire to create innovative solutions to problems and capitalizing on them.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron! I was super interested in the research and development process that you and your partners used to create the prototype for your disciplinary device. I feel like your process of re-framing the problem was a great way to not only understand it better, but also understand what kind of people are faced with this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron,
    I really enjoyed reading about your entrepreneurship story. I like how you described the process for coming up with your idea. You and your partners broke it down in terms of identifying the problems, the parties involved, and conducting research which aligns up exactly with what we've learned to do in this class. I too have always wanted to start my own business and I think this class will be beneficial for that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron - this is a great post! I think that you made an excellent decision in reframing the problem and interviewing experts before jumping to find a solution. So many people want to jump right to the solution of a problem, but it is so important to first gather as much information as possible and identify every of a problem to then create a solution.

    ReplyDelete