March 13, 2020

16A –What’s Your Secret Sauce?

What Makes Me Unique

The five ways in which my human capital is unique from everyone else (at least a good majority) is:

1) Willpower 

This may sound generic, but I truly believe that most of the success that I've experienced in my life is in part due to my willpower and persistence in important situations. There is something inside of me that won't let me move on from a frustrating task or situation until I've completed it to the best of my abilities. I think the many years of athletics and team sports may have strengthened my persistence.

2) Leadership in service

I've been in many emergent leadership roles while serving my community. Being able to work well with a team is one thing, but actually influencing a group of people you haven't met before to accomplish a set goal or task is much more difficult. I led a small group of people at a food bank, and together we were able to package four tons of food for those in need. 

3) Dyslexia 

I was diagnosed with mild dyslexia back in 2012. It makes reading and writing more of a challenge but I believe that, in some ways, it makes me very creative. It's difficult to explain in words, but when I'm trying to solve open-ended problems I can "see" different, and sometimes wild, view-points that others may not come up with.

4) Technical and Conceptual Skills

I enjoy getting my hands dirty, hands on activities, and fantasizing. Reflecting on the skills I've built over the years, and the ones I'm currently building, they require extensive knowledge in both technichal and conceptual aspects. For example, one skill that I've been working on is audio engineering and mixing. 

5) Unique Experiences

I have piloted a monorail, hiked a mountain with a sprained ankle, got held at gunpoint, won an athletic title, and rode a bike with no handlebars (last one is a joke). In all seriousness, These experiences and many more are the reason I am who I am today. 


Why Other's Think I'm Unique

1) Mother - Mom Interview
  • Summary - I have strong technical skills. I am resourceful and use what I have to solve problems. I have improved my communication skills and is more extroverted.

2) Father - Dad Interview
  •  I am able to apply humor to complex situations. I can stay calm in stressful situations 

3) Cousin - I am reliable and very openminded especially when it comes to problems . I tend to overthink and very forgetful. 

4) Younger Brother - Brother Interview
  • I have strong communication skills and English skills. I am able to make complex information more understandable.

5) Aunt - Aunt Interview
  •  I am a very giving person with a servant attitude. I am sociable and a people person. 




Summary

I found many similarities between how I saw myself and how my closest family members saw me. For example, service, technical, and persistent were a few of the similar qualities. I think the differences were caused mainly by perception and personal preferences. I think for the most part the interviewees described me accurately. I would not change anything from my initial list. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron!
    I enjoyed this post a lot! Fortunately, I am lucky enough to not have dyslexia, but my younger brother does have it, so I have been able to see how it effects a person's learning process. I think it is so cool that you included that as one of your defining qualities and I loved how you explained how you use this obstacle as an advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron,

    I believe that willpower is the most powerful quality an individual can have! The power of being persistent and not giving up until a task is fully completed is often overlooked in my opinion. Also, being a leader and the ability to work well in teams are also great qualities. The combination of willpower and leadership is definitely a recipe for success!

    ReplyDelete