Market Segment
My market segment is elderly people (65 and older) that live alone or independently (no caretaker).
Interviewee #1
Need Awareness
I interviewed an elderly woman at a laundromat that has an issue with robocalls and people claiming to be from the IRS. She was scammed a few hundred dollars from someone claiming to be a family member in jail. I asked her if she's become more cautious about phone calls when she's home since the incident. Her response was yes. She said it's a problem because now she misses phone calls from important people (she gave family members and doctors' offices as examples). She said after 8:00pm she ignores phone calls.
Information Search
I followed up asking her what she did immediately after the scam. She said she reported the incident to police and they told her about precautions to take. She also did some research on scams, but she felt overwhelmed with all the links and information.
Interviewee #2
Need Awareness
I interviewed an elderly man that realized he had an issue with scams after his wife was a victim. He told me the story of how late one night his wife answered a phone call and immediately after told him to get dressed to leave the house. He remembers asking what the problem was, but she didn't give him a definitive answer - only that it was an emergency. He drove her to Walmart and she bought gift cards. Within the next hour, he said the money was gone. He was pretty frustrated that she didn't communicate with him or anyone else; she told him the person on the other end said to keep it to herself (which is a major red flag). He still feels sick thinking about that night.Information Search
Following the scam, he contacted close family members and told them what happened. They recommended that he only answer phone calls from recognizable numbers. He said that's all they said about it and still feels exposed.
Interviewee #3
I spoke to a woman that was a victim of an email scam.
Need Awareness
She told me that one afternoon she was enticed by an email promising her good deals at her local grocery store. She clicked on the email and followed the directions to access the coupons. Her entire account was breached and she lost valuable rewards points and some personal information was exposed. She was very upset and questioned why google mail didn't filter the email to begin with. She admitted that something didn't feel right in her gut, but she went with it anyway.
Information Search
After the incident, she called the grocery store and notified them what happened. Her account was deleted. She looked more into Gmail's features and set up a better spam folder. Also, she turned to her nephews that were more experienced for help. She hopes that the improved settings will prevent anymore email scams.
Hi Aaron,
ReplyDeleteInteresting information search on the problem of scam calls. My grandparents have this issue too. They have apps that block scam callers, however they are still subject to very tricky emails! Every time I go to their house, I have to clean the spy-wear off their computer from links that they clicked on emails. This just goes to show that the scamming problem is very prevalent, even beyond phone calls.
Hi Aaron,
ReplyDeleteI think you picked a great segment of people to interview, but how sad to hear about people getting scammed. I know me and my mom have both been targeted of pretty elaborate scams. For me specifically, I was receiving some pretty convincing emails from "Apple" about app store charges, and I can see how an older person could easily fall for these types of things. It is definitely a serious problem, and I think targeting older people is smart as they are much more susceptible to this.
Hi Aaron,
ReplyDeleteI think that the interviews you conducted were awesome! It is clear in your interviews that a lot of elderly people have unfortunately fallen victim to scams over the phone. Addressing these issues are so important because the scammers make everything sound so legitimate that elderly people often do not think twice about it. All in all, your interviews were great in illustrating real life examples of elderly people getting scammed and the opportunity that this presents to solve this huge problem.